piatok 14. septembra 2012

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

I don't usually like films with no plot and too many characters, from which you can't decide, which are leading and which are supporting. Because of so many character I can't side with any of them and that's the reason I feel bored next to them. Finally, I found an exception.
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is so adorable film with so adorable characters, that there is just no way you won't like it. The characters are so sweet, that you will easily sympathize with them. When I think about the film, it just makes me smile. Actually, there is not a character, whose story would not interest me. The screenplay is funny and fresh and the characters are written really wonderfully. They are just like any of us, but they are not boring. The screenplay always makes you enjoy the film because it always has an ace to play. When you think that some character's story will not surprise you anymore, a reversal comes.
John Madden's access to the characters and the film itself is very sensitive. The film, though it is too long for my taste, is never boring. You watch the character's stories and you just enjoy every moment. And that's because of the great and very lovable atmosphere. The contrast between the calm of the characters (or the oldness) and the noisy life in India is really perfectly showed.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel probably won't score in the technical categories. The cinematography, the makeup, the costume design, the score are nothing special. But there is something mention-worthy. The first thing is the art direction, that is really great. The hotel, the city, or the call center. It is not only beautiful, but even perfectly works for the film. The other thing is the editing (oh, I'm rhyming :). It is really not easy to edit this kind of film. Many characters, many locations and it need to be not chaotic. And Chris Gill succeeded in this. 
The performances. They are all really great. And when I say all, I mean all. There is not a one bad, or just OK performance in the film. They all are great. So who has a chance to be nominated? All of them. And when I say all, I mean all. In the best cast category. If you want to know, who has a chance to be nominated in a separated (his own) category, then it's these: Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Penelope Wilton, Dev Patel and Tom Wilkinson. The other actors are also great, but they are just a little bit overshadowed by these five.

Žiadne komentáre:

Zverejnenie komentára